View Single Post
Old
04-20-2011, 04:44 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
Think of it in real life terms: If one owner of an NHL team was found to actually have under the table deals with 3 other NHL teams, and thus have a vested interest in those teams, or worse, having a say in how trades went for that team, he could quite easily create trades that, on the surface, don't look like they are colluded trades, but are a very clear win for the team he actually owns. This owner is found out later. Not only is the NHL now the laughingstock of the entire world, but the integrity of the NHL itself is shot to hell and back, and EVERYTHING this owner has ever had his hands involved with in the NHL is now questioned as legit. This is something the NHL would *never* fully recover from. Obviously, the situations are not really comparable here, but the principal is still the same, and *because* VI has had such a large hand in getting the ATD to where it is today, it makes this all the more worse.
Why all the hyperbole, jarek? Does anyone still fret about the Black Socks scandal that rocked major league baseball? The word never is almost never appropriate, in any context.

Quote:
And don't fool yourself.. he made those fake accounts to reach his own goals for the draft.. his goals, that only he cared about, and they ended up affecting the entire draft. Think about it. All the players that ZM/Sabre/etc. drafted, those players may have went to other GMs that were looking at those players. Even though VI's teams didn't go very far, his actions have had much further reaching effects than everyone is suggesting here - the playoffs of every ATD that VI has been involved with with proxy teams are now compromised, and all could have gone entirely different. We will never know now.
Yes, of course. The snowball effect of simply having those teams in the draft cannot properly be accounted for. Those teams were not particularly good, however, and I don't think his presence invalidates the results of those drafts. Had VanI won or gotten deep into the playoffs, perhaps knocking off potential winners, then we would have a big problem...but he never did. This is rather like point-shaving scandals in modern pro sports. Yes, it affected the results, and the consequences of those actions and consequences of those consequences obviously had an effect on the eventual outcomes, but the effect was probably fairly small. Invalidating all results since ATD#11 would be a draconian overreaction, in my opinion. If anything, VanI's double presence in those drafts made constructing a championship team harder than it would have been had his socks been actual rookie GMs. I actually remember being surprised at the quality of ZM's "first" entry in ATD#11. Had VanI actually argued for that team, it might have gone somewhere.

Quote:
This is the biggest concern. People see what VI did, and no longer trust the integrity of GMs in the draft, and stay away from it. If VI could get away with it, then anyone can. It's actually not very hard to maintain a couple of aliases on the internet. Believe me, I know from personal experience. I did something like this a long, long time ago, and had a lot of people fooled for years. Not something I'm proud of, but it's something that is possible.
Most people don't overthink things in this way, though. At this point, I think the ATD has enough dignity that it will survive this shock without any major hiccups. A repeat of 40 teams was probably not in the cards, anyway, and I really don't think we'll have a participation problem going back to 32 teams, which is a better number to begin with (easiest to resolve in an "everybody in" playoff system and closest to the size of the real NHL). I think this incident is probably more off-putting to veteran GMs than it is to rookies. I'm pretty annoyed to think that we've had Josef Goebbels running this thing for a couple of years now, but I don't see why a rookie GM would be so bothered by such a past incident. Everyone knows the internet is a **** show, anyway.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote