Old
04-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
If Murray had more than 1 timeout for the entire game at his disposal, then I could see using it to send a message to the team.

I wouldn't have minded Murray using it in the 2nd, but I also didn't mind it when he didn't. He's only got one. It's the playoffs and there are NO TV timeouts in OT. In retrospect, he didn't need it late in the 3rd or in OT, but he doesn't know that at the time.

The best use of the timeout is late in games after an icing where guys are gassed, can't change and there's no TV timeout. If I were a coach, I'd kick myself if I used it early in the game to send a message and then didn't have it later when it was desperately needed. If they had more than one per game, it'd be a different story.
Who cares if you only have 1 timeout. If your team is obviously losing control during a period, whether it is the 1st or 2nd, you call a timeout. It is a message to the team to wake the **** up. I would have called it after the 2nd goal. Who knows, maybe the team would have settled down and the Kings held on for the win. Doing nothing is a message in itself, the coach is telling the team to figure the **** out because he's not going to do anything. If this was Detroit and you have a 40 year old captain and a cup winning group, you can do nothing. But with a young team in their second playoff series, you need to do everything you can to help them focus during a game. TV timeouts are not the time to wake the team up.

Did the SJ coach worry about using his timeout in the 1st period? I don't know if NHL timeouts are tracked anywhere, but I would not be suprised to see Terry use it the least.

He does the same thing with pulling goalies. He always waits until it is way too late to make a difference. It isn't always about the goalie having a bad night, it is a message to the team that they are ****ing up on the ice and need to get back into the game.

Having said that, I have no problem with Quick being left in the net last night. None of the goals were bad and I don't think a goalie should be pulled when leading in the game.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote