View Single Post
Old
04-20-2011, 11:14 AM
sigepcsun

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
The best use of the timeout is late in games after an icing where guys are gassed, can't change and there's no TV timeout. If I were a coach, I'd kick myself if I used it early in the game to send a message and then didn't have it later when it was desperately needed. If they had more than one per game, it'd be a different story.
My point is that with a lead like that you do everything in your power to keep it. With a 4-0, or 4-1, or 4-2 lead there should not be a worry about anything but that moment. The timeout is not just about sending a message to your team, but also about slowing the momentum of the other team. To me the Kings "desperately" needed it during the second period... we left the arena with a tool that may or may not have helped still in our bag, and we lost. You call the timeout right then and there, during the 2nd period, you coach for the moment and hope that you turn the tide and don't reach a "desperate" moment because you coached your way out of trouble. A real coach 9 times out of 10 can feel when he loses control of a team, a real coach wants to keep control of the team and not coach SCARED.

sigepcsun is offline   Reply With Quote