View Single Post
Old
04-20-2011, 02:49 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
... This is from the "timeout" thread but I'll post it here, since I suppose this is the goalie thread and it's more appropriate here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Somewhere in there, when the score was 5-3 or 5-4, Quick needed to make a game-saving save.

Great goalies can carry a team when asked - Quick had his chance to clean up behind some sloppy play in front of him and he couldn't do it.

After SJ scored a couple, Quick lost his edge - he played waaaay back in his crease and was flopping down everywhere at anytime. All which which helped SJ get a few more goals.
... You know, all I have heard up to this playoff series and up to last night's game has been "Quick this, Quick that, he's elite, he's one of the best in the league, he's great, he's a big game goalie, he's so mentally tough, etc. etc. etc."

There's a big difference between saying "he didn't give up any soft goals" and "he played great last night", and Quick did NOT play great. In this series, he's given up a soft goal in game 1 that, while it didn't prove to be the difference in the game, it certainly didn't help, he had a comparatively easy game 2, and an average game 3.

At no time has he shown me that he's THE GUY who is going to steal a playoff game or a playoff series or lead the team to the promised land, or even come close to that.

I think he should start game 4, because this is the playoffs. If this was the regular season, I'd definitely say that Bernier should get the next one, but playoff losses are obviously more difficult to get over and I don't want Quick as the chosen number one to be stewing about this game for more than a day. The Kings, for better or worse, have pinned their hopes on this guy. I didn't agree with the decision, but what's done is done.