View Single Post
Old
04-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhawk07 View Post

My questiion is though, to those of you that believe Bettman is out to get the Wings, why do you think that is? I can't really disagree with it, but I can't figure out what his motivation would be.

The Detroit Red Wings are one of the most popular teams outside of its home state. You look around at all the away games and theirs usually a ton of red jerseys there, they sell redwings merchadise all around the other teams stadiums. Nashville and Phoenix esp. are like their 2nd/3rd homes, they usually drown out the home teams fans.The Wings have to make a lot of money for the league in terms of merchandising. A successful Detroit Redwings team should be very beneficial to the NHL.
Rumor around here was that after the Pens beat the Wings, Ilitch blew right past Bettman, and refused to shake his hand. I think in his haste to suck up to Mario, he failed to mention the Ilitches in any of his mandatory thank you's, and also was 'usually' in Mario's suite for the playoff games. Ilitch probably has a laundry list of things, including some of the issues with officiating, but there's the Octo-gate (which continues to this day-- banning of Octopus spinning by Al Sobotka), and the promise Bettman made to Ilitch that the Wings could go to the Eastern Conference if there's another alignment. The league has backpedaled on that matter in recent times.