View Single Post
Old
04-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Janerixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Where does this line of thinking end though? Is it okay for the ref to get right in Dubi's way because he's only human and they're all skating fast? I don't think so personally. A borderline slash called here, a missed trip there, whatever - you're right, nobody is perfect and the game is very fast. But to be right next to the other ref and in the way of a 2 on 0 breakaway in a game that either ties a series or makes it 3 - 1 is not okay. "They're just human" doesn't cover that for me. He should be able to not end up in the middle of the play when there are only 2 skaters in the zone. 2 guys in all that room and he ends up directly in front of one of them and about 3 feet away from the other ref. That is way past human error. There was no reason for him to be in that area at all and further, as I said already, the zone wasn't packed with fast moving athletes trying to kill each other - it was just 2 guys breaking in on a goalie. I can take the missed call on Staal and the odd call on Avery but getting in the way of that play is not okay.

I don't have an answer to what should be done about it but an apology from the official would be a nice start. He doesn't need to get into the fact that it could have changed the outcome of the game and this series or anything like that, he could just acknowledge that he made a mental error that killed an otherwise very promising scoring chance. Apologize to the team and their fans, take a moderate measure of embarrassment and move on. That'd probably leave a more lasting impression on the guy than a fine would.
An apology would be nice, but this is the NHL where the officials can do no wrong and they don't apologize to anyone for anything. Yeah Devorski made a mistake, but that doesn't irk me as much as non-calls that were clearly seen by refs and then they call a garbage slash literally seconds after a scoring chance was taken away. Look the refs are not the scapegoats of game 4 to me, the Rangers and the coaching staff are as they blew the lead and failed again. But with consistent officiating, the hook on Feds is called and we go on the PP and that Avery penalty never occurs. If they consistently called what is deemed a penalty by the rules maybe the Caps don't tie it and the 2-0 breakaway that prevented a scoring chance never happens.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote