Thread: calgary news
View Single Post
Old
08-11-2005, 12:45 AM
Phanuthier*

vCash: 500
Andrew Ference's blue-collar, open honesty during the lockout has vaulted him into not only one of my favourite Flame players, but one of my favourites in the NHL. Think JR, except he thinks before he talks (ie. not calling fans retards).

http://www.canada.com/components/pri...f-f23807539492

The Calgary Flames defenceman's willingness to challenge the union hard-line position made him a folk hero with disenchanted fans over the course of the 10-month lockout, but that candor also drew the ire of some of his colleagues.

When Ference posted his non-conformist views on the NHL Players' Association's internal website this past winter, it triggered a flood of angry replies from peers and even the odd phone call from union brass.

Still, Ference has no regrets and no fears about the vague threats of retribution by peeved union brothers.

"I don't care," said Ference, decked in an orange cycling jersey comfortably seated on the patio of a popular Canmore eatery. "If they do, hopefully we'll get a power play out of it. These guys who came out -- I can't even remember who said it -- and talked about physical harm and about payback, who do these guys think they are? I don't think there's too many guys in the NHL who are scared of anybody else.

"I'm not scared of some guy before the game saying, 'Oh that Andy Ference. He posted those messages, I'm going to get him tonight.' Good for him, I don't care. That's great. That just gives me an edge in the game, I guess. That's the furthest thing from my mind when I'm opening up my mouth or sharing my feelings."