View Single Post
Old
04-22-2011, 10:06 AM
nik jr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Looks like it happened in February of 1924. From the Ottawa Citizen - February 4, 1924:

After this incident, we start seeing references to the injury (indicating that it was quite serious). From the Ottawa Citizen - January 9, 1925:

From basically 1925 onwards, we see references to Boucher's "bad leg", and the frequent struggles he had with it. Here is a good example - from the Calgary Daily Herald - April 12, 1927:

It should be noted that the timing of the injury matches the end of Boucher's peak quite closely. The injury occured late in the 1923-24 season, and Boucher's last peak season came in the next season 1924-25. He was 28 years old. It seems quite likely that Boucher was able to squeeze one more good season out of the knee before his leg problems forced him to slow down, and he spent the twilight of his career (he would play for seven more years) as a slow, physical, stay-at-home defenseman.

As I have found no mention of Boucher's skating (either positive or negative) before the occurence of the knee injury, I think it is safe to assume that he was an average skater through his years as a forward and then peak as an attacking defenseman, before succumbing to the realities of his injury, and changing his style of play. He is likely mentioned as "not the greatest skater" (which I believe comes from LOH) because he played as an immobile stay-at-home defenseman for seven full seasons, and that is the last image anyone had of him.
i also do not remember anything describing georges boucher as slow (or fast).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Yeah. I certainly don't consider Boucher fast, but I don't think we can consider him to be one of the slugs of the draft anymore. I always wondered how someone that slow could out up such numbers.
for much of the game, the players were standing around, and players often played 60 minutes, so speed was not as important, and boucher was one of the best stickhandlers of the era.

speed and stickhandling seem to have been the main ways to get through a defense.

Last edited by nik jr: 04-24-2011 at 05:54 AM.
nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote