Thread: Dan Girardi
View Single Post
Old
04-22-2011, 11:36 AM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Girardi is a great second pairing defenseman. The thing is, this team already has two great second-pairing defensemen and they are just rookies. What they need is to improve their first pair, and in my book, that means upgrading on Dan Girardi.

I don't know if Brent Burns is the right target there, but something has to be done. You need to have a better puck distributor on the back end, not just up front.
Totally agree.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The Rangers won't come close to competing for a cup if they don't have a puck-moving defensemen in their top 4, let alone the top pairing. All the recent cup winners have had a PMD on their top pairing and it is an absolutely essential piece to winning a cup. I look at what Duncan Keith and Drew Doughty have done in this playoffs thus far, and that's exactly what this team is missing on the top pair.

This is not a knock on Girardi at all, he's been great this year. It's more of an issue of how our defense is structured. I think a lot of people are content with having Staal-Girardi and McDonagh-Sauer as the top 4 for the future, but if we can't get a PMD in there somewhere, we're screwed.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote