View Single Post
Old
04-22-2011, 06:01 PM
le_sean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Bouwmeester is still living off his rep from junior. He's basically Calgary's Gomez at this point, elite money for less than elite results.

I won't say most because I can't prove it, but judging from fan message boards, a good portion of Flames fans have completely soured on him.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=103718

About the best praise he's getting there is that he wouldn't be so bad if he was used better.

Not to mention the less concrete knocks on him, such as the belief that he can't handle the pressure in Calgary, that he doesn't show up when it counts the most, and the obvious glaring hole on his resume (having never played a single playoff game).
But in my mind it would be to turn him into a top shutdown defenceman in the league, which he is capable of with his speed and size. I think he had no pressure in Florida, so he could focus and get points, but in Calgary he was expected and asked to do too much.

It was just a thought. I know he's not the best defenceman, but considering the probable asking price for him, I would take a chance. Ehrhoff and Pitkanen will probably stay on their respective teams. Jan Hejda might be an option, I don't know how well he skates though. I don't see many other defencemen available via free agency and/or trade.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote