View Single Post
Old
04-23-2011, 04:59 PM
habtastic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
I just think we analyze in a vacuum for the most part. Sometimes five goals happen and it's hard to pinpoint the cause in terms of someone playing well or not. It's certainly the easiest thing to point to, but it's not always the right conclusion to draw. The same is true when a goalie is given too much credit. I saw Price battling hard and being sharp. His usual game didn't result in allowing three or less goals this game, but the same mindset and play may very well result in that tonight. The narratives we build to explain normal and perfectly understandable variations in the game are just too simplistic in my opinion. I think Price played well and that some goals got by him due to the nature of the game, but that 7-8 times out of 10 the result would have been the one we were looking for. Not every variable can be controlled in a fast moving game like hockey.

Tonight he might not make ANY change to his game, yet allow only two goals, and there will be some that say Price was completely different, when in fact, some variability went the other way.
so right. applies to players aside from Price too. As an example, you have your #1 sniper on a breakaway with little time left in a tie game. Is that not the equivalent of making the big save to win the game? Or even a 2 min powerplay with about 2 mins left!!! That is where you win the game. But again, not as easy to blame. Thomas has been bad 5 hole and probably expected Cammy to go high glove, so his choice of shot can be defended. As for PP...well...I dunno what was up there.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote