View Single Post
Old
08-11-2005, 03:35 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog
The Pens have had an incredible off season and will be a much improved team but Pens fans need to be cautious about premature high expectations. There are still many areas that are questionable to be comfortable with thier position.
People seem to be couting on every situation already going in a favorable manner for the team when they could very well turn south.
Like I said, I love the moves they made and the direction they're taking and it will significantly improve our future as well as our younger players by giving them veterans of the all-star, highly skilled caliber to learn from as opposed to the depth type veterans brought in before. Yet haviing said that, I have much more guarded optomism than I'm seeing from most Pens fans. I also think some are overvaluing our players (like Beech and Antrpov are not equal; Stone isn't near untouchable status and Talbot, while a solid prospect, is a tradeable asset) by penciling them into future roles or expecting things from them (this season or beyond) when there isnt enough evidence to warrant such lofty status. I think we should check ourselves with some reality because I see alot of "counting our chickens..." theories and beliefs going on in these forums IMO.
I'm not saying Stone is "untouchable", just that the Penguins are extremely high on him and he will not be traded unless it is for someone that fits into the Pens plans for a long time (ie a good young dman, not a veteran who is an impending UFA).

In short, I would not trade Stone for Witt, but would consider trading him for Eminger or Morrisonn.