04-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Trade up? not overly likely

Trade the pick? quite possible, especially if there's a team looking to offload some salary at the draft for cap purposes and has a dman we're after.
I am having trouble thinking about a defender worth the 12th overall pick that would be:

1. Worth the 12th overall pick.
2. Available.
3. Paid a reasonable salary.
4. For at least a few seasons.

I highly doubt we deal the 12th overall unless we're moving up, to be honest. This team is rife with moves made via "connections", and if one of the Kitchener players passes the sniff test by the organization we're certainly armed well enough to move up considering our prospect depth and roster depth. I thought we may have considered it last year had we not been fairly certain we were going to get our guy anyways with the 7th, but this year it's even more of a no brain decision to move up if you have a guy slotted pretty high and he falls into the range of a team less convinced. I think the wheelhouse for Landeskog is probably the 4th or 5th overall and the 7th or 8th overall for Murphy. If either of them slip to that point, you have to think that JR is on the phone trying to make something work. Especially on Landeskog as he's exactly the type of complimentary player that we could really use. And face it, how many times have we seen a top prospect attend a Hurricanes game to see his buddy play? The nepotism practically makes itself on that pick.

But again, it's all conjecture. JR may be so cocky after the Skinner pick that he tries to pull another rabbit out of his hat on draft day and ends up cocking the pick. I would actually say we're somewhat overdue for a first or second round goaltender selection if there were any worthy of slot merit.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote