View Single Post
Old
04-24-2011, 09:01 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Interview with a 60 year old Frank Boucher in 1962

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...ner+best&hl=en

Boucher had just been awarded the annual Sportsmanship Brotherhood Award in New York.

First, the article reminds us that Boucher won the Lady Byng 7 times and calls it "hockey's equivalent of a good conduct medal."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Boucher
I did get into a pretty good fight once. That was in my first year in the NHL in 1926-27. Bill Phillips of the Old Montreal Maroons and I started to mix it up. He hit me over the head with his stick and that about ended the fight. I was a little bit groggy.
On the difference between hockey in the 20s/30s and 1962:

Quote:
You don't see much precision passing nowadays. It's more of a five-man gang attack instead of three forwards carrying the puck into the attacking zone. Some of the color has gone from the game because there is less bodychecking. The game is a lot faster today, though.
Boucher picks his all-time team:

Quote:
Boucher tapped for his all-time, all-star team goalie Chuck Gardiner of the Chicago Black Hawks, defensemen Eddie Shore of the Boston Bruins and Ching Johnson of the Rangers, center Frank Nighbor of Ottawa, left winger Aurel Joliat of the Montreal Canadiens and center Bill Cook.
Yet another contemporary picks Frank Nighbor over Howie Morenz. I think it really is an open question as to which was the better player. I still think the evidence is in favor of Morenz, but it's close.

Boucher joins Howie Morenz in his effusive praise of Ching Johnson, and joins a variety of players who called Charlie Gardiner the best goalie they ever played against.

On the best players "today" (in 1962):

Quote:
Jean Beliveau of the Canadiens has more ability than any other forward in the game today. He does everything well. Doug Harvey of the Rangers is the best defenseman and Jacques Plante of the Canadiens the best goalie.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 04-24-2011 at 11:53 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote