View Single Post
Old
04-25-2011, 12:57 PM
SJGoalie32

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan1 View Post
I think the whole team likes the challenge of coming from behind. They always play best when they are down a couple (or more) goals.
I have a theory about that.

I get the impression this team is at its best when its skating fast, free-wheeling, crashing the net hard, moving up and down the ice.

They have one of the bigger, stronger, deepeer and more talented groups of wingers in the league (and have for several seasons). So when they are coming from behind and just focused on just getting the next goal, they create way more offense than when they are trying to play a tight-checking defensive game where nobody goes to the net for fear of giving up a breakaway. I get the impression that this team would generally do better in a track meet style game than a grinding game.

It's like having Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, John Taylor, and Roger Craig on your offense, and then just calling a bunch of conservative runs into the line and punting deep. If you've got stars, utilize their potential.

That's only a mild theory I have though, and I say that knowing full well there is a fair amount of evidence to suggest they'd do worse in such a game (though matchups are a key component in that, too).

Also have to acknowledge the reality that the Kings are also going to collapse more defensively when up by 3 goals because they don't have to push for any offense. There's also the matter that while the Kings are rolling all of their lines, the Sharks are constantly running out only their top lines. So you'll see more shifts for guys like Pavelski, Clowe, Marleau, and Couture in 3-goal games than you will in 1-goal games where 5-10 minutes of ice time will go to Mayers & Eager, etc. So naturally, more Marleau and less Mayers means more offense firepower.