Thread: Post-Game Talk: Predators win the series!
View Single Post
Old
04-25-2011, 03:46 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Post on the NP forum by user ILikeItILoveIt:

-------------------------------------------------------

I am a veteran sports fan. Rapid fan of the big four sports for 47 years. Stay with my teams for better or worse. Only change when I move or new team is established. MLB: Mets; NFL Jets with secondary for the Titans; NBA: Knicks; NHL: Rangers then Islanders then Whalers then Preds. Last Championship was the Mets in 1986 ( .. "it gets by Buckner and the Mets win!!!").

The drama of being a true sports fan is emotional and deep. You intellectually know you're likely to ultimately lose but hope carries you to the edge, never letting go into the last out or the last tick of the game clock. Since the odds of losing are overwhelming, a smart person would contend its fools gold. Why bother? Why put yourself out there when you know they will let you down AGAIN? Why invest all that mental energy and time?

Last night is why!! Years of riding the emotional rollercoaster and having it de-rail every year is worth "THAT MOMENT". That rush you felt when Weber's shot found the back of the net. That spike in blood pressure when Toots finds Smitty and the puck is in.

You will always remember where you were last night. Its not the Stanley Cup but its an undeniable "MOMENT". You will file it in your Sports Hope Chest along side Leggie's shorty in Game 3 against the Wings in our first ever home playoff game.

Remember how you felt right after Game 5 last year. Devastated as a word does not have the range and depth to describe how it felt. It is the reverse world Dark Side of the way you feel now.

And so goes the journey of a REAL sports fan. Last night reminded us why we care. There will be dark days in the future. We may not even win this series. If we do, last night will become legendary. If we lose, it'll still be special.

In a world of huge choices in media and entertainment, there are fewer events or happenings that create "community". Everyone today has it their way. We splinter off into different rooms to watch TV, spend hours in Facebook/Twitter and punching on our smart phones. We no longer come together and experience the same thing in large numbers. That involves compromise, and why compromise when we can have exactly what we want when we want it.

We have a really nice theater room in our house. Huge screen, nice reclining chairs, surround digital. The ultimate Man Cave for sports watching. Watched Game 2 there and lost so when Game 5 was coming we decided we couldn't watch it in isolation. So we went to the Brewhouse South in Franklin. Figured it we lost it would be easier with more company.

With Pred fans hanging from the rafters, the game unfolded into a massive Predfest. In a Nashville world where you have to tell most sports bars what channel the Preds are on and beg to have it put on the big screen, this viewing party had it on ALL screens. ALL the servers had pred shirts on. Even the band refrained from playing until the game was over.

When Weber scored, it was a slice of Bridgestone. When Smitty scored, people were diving on people they didn't know. Wore a preds shirt today. Everywhere I went, people are stopping me and saying something in solidarity about the game. Its as if we're one. Last night created "community". Remaining tickets on ticketmaster got sucked up faster than a weber slap shot. Tomorrow will be rock concert. People who don't know each other will smile, talk to each other, and hug. You're catch each other in a glance, with your pred stuff on, and even without words, you'll know. You'll know you're feeling the same feeling because you lived the same MOMENT.

Moral of this story to all young Pred fans, and sports fans in general: CARING IS WORTH IT. ALL THE DISAPPOINTMENTS ARE WORTH THE MOMENT. DON'T EVER STOP CARING TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM FURTHER PAIN, BECAUSE WHEN YOU EXPERIENCE THAT FEELING YOU HAD WHEN SMITTY SCORED, ITS LIKE NO OTHER.

NHL Network just made a "Make History" commercial out of last night win. Its on Pred TV. It sends chills. Those chills are a product of caring.

The 1973 Mets had a spontaneous slogan coined by Tug Mcgraw (Tim's Dad and Mets Relief Pitcher) . "Ya Gotta Believe". Mets went from last to first in September and won the National League. That always stayed with me. It summarizes how to be a sports fan for your team. When you believe and they let you down, it hurts.

But when you believe and they win, like 1:50 into OT, its like a drug when you're an addict. You'll do anything to feel it again.

For the Pred Addicts, our next "fix" will be tomorrow at about 7:45. The horn will go off, tehhe music will blare. You'll be hugging everyone around you, you'll watch the hand shake line as a winner for the first time, and you'll be a rock star at work Monday as the casual fans will wanna be you.

...... and this is why we care.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Amen brother.
to that