View Single Post
Old
04-25-2011, 08:02 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekidline View Post
How do you guys feel about Pujols's future with the club?

I know it is talked about alot but the comments made by the ESPN crew during the game Sunday night got me thinking about what happens to this team if he does leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackout View Post
They need to resign him, they can't really afford to lose the best player in the game for nothing. That said, if he is sticking by his deadline and refusing to talk deal then I'd have to question his desire to remain in the city.

I understand that he wants to be the best paid 1B, and he has a lot of importance on his place in history. Part of that is team success, and if it means paying Albert $26m (at least) a year then how competitive can the Cards be? The payroll has just up to nearly $110m this year (from something like $95m), if that is sustainable then it is certainly possible to build a winning team around Pujols and Holliday.

Honestly though? Unless he has the desire to remain in St. Louis then other teams can offer a better package. The fact is that the Cubs have the money, they have a stadium that certainly wouldn't hurt his individual numbers and he would have the chance to be the key in ending their drought. That is more attractive from a financial and "place in history" viewpoint.

Angels maybe? I don't think the Rangers could afford him. Yankees, Phillies and Red Sox have their first baseman, and Pujols isn't going to want to be a DH or move to the outfield.

I think what the Cardinals are going to have to do is take a similar path to a lot of NHL teams... Pay a handful of players big money and fill out the rest of the roster with cost controlled homegrown talent. I question whether or not the Cardinals farm system is strong enough for this, but it has certainly become better in recent years. Build around players like Pujols, Wainwright, Holliday, Molina, Rasmus, and fill in the rest of the roster with cheap players(Skip Schumaker, Nick Punto, etc.) and/or cost controlled players(Rasmus, Freese, Jay, Craig, Garcia, etc.).

I think the Cardinals should take a lesson from the mid-nineties Blues and the way they handled the Brett Hull situation, it wasn't the franchise's proudest moment. If this current Cardinals ownership/management team lets Pujols walk, it WILL be their defining moment.

With all that being said, 10 years @ 300 million, come on Albert, don't be a greedy d-bag.