View Single Post
Old
10-15-2003, 08:09 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
this is typical macT stuff though really.... each year he has done the same thing, screwed around with lines and screwed around with lines

but in his defence, every year the team is so different that you cant just stay with the lines (basically) that you had the year before

i wonder if all the player movement is finally gonna catch up with the oilers this year.... sure looks like it so far............
Let's play coach for a second...if your team hasn't scored a goal (hell, haven't even come close) for the last 5 periods, wouldn't YOU start mixing the lines around? I know I would. I think most coaches would've done the same as well. MacT's throwing the mess against a wall, hoping something will stick.

Right now he has 2 set lines, RPM and Torres/Horcoff/Laraque. RPM is currently showing their play from last year looks more like a 'lightning in a bottle' thing than something they can sustain, and the Torque line, while looking good most shifts, looks like it could be broken up to address issues with the top 2 lines.

Here's the top 6:

Smyth..........3-2-0-2, 6 PIM, 6 shots
Hemsky........3-0-2-2, 0 PIM, 2 shots
York............3-0-0-0, 2 PIM, 9 shots
Isbister.........3-0-0-0, 13 PIM, 2 shots
Chimera........3-1-0-1, 2 PIM, 6 shots
Dvorak..........3-0-1-1, 2 PIM, 2 shots

Total: 18 GP, 3 G, 3 A, 6 Points, 25 PIM, 27 shots.

Not nearly enough shots, not nearly enough production.

Oh yeah, here's RPM:

Reasoner.......3-0-0-0, 2 PIM, 1 shot
Moreau.........3-0-0-0, 2 PIM, 3 shots
Pisani............3-0-0-0, 0 PIM, 0 shots

Total: 9 GP, 0 G, 0 A, 0 Points, 4 PIM, 4 shots.

I've felt more of a pulse from a week old cadaver.

Finally, here's Torque:

Horcoff.........3-1-1-2, 2 PIM, 3 shots
Laraque........3-0-1-1, 4 PIM, 2 shots
Torres..........3-1-1-2, 4 PIM, 7 shots

Total: 9 GP, 2 G, 3 A, 5 Points, 10 PIM, 12 shots.

When your "4th" line has only 1 less point than YOUR FIRST BLOODY 3 LINES COMBINED, it's time to ask some hard questions about some of the players on this team. It's obvious that some players were far more ready to put in some effort than others.

Obviously it's too early for mass hysteria, but it's the way this team's lost that has me a bit concerned.