View Single Post
Old
04-26-2011, 01:58 AM
SouthpawTRK

vCash: 500
Since you have loved hockey since you were young, you just got to get back out there and keep trying. Don't find yourself ten or twenty years down the road with regrets of not getting back out there due to embarrassment.

You are still a very young person and have a lot of years to get better and a lot of years to play hockey. I didn't start playing until my early forties; wish I would have started sooner in life; but I'm loving every minute of it.

SKILL
You may feel like you are the worst player on the ice and/or team, but believe me you are probably not the worst. The only way you could be the worst is if you are playing in a league that is well above your current skill level. You may want to start out at the lowest level league possible and then work your way up over time.

SKATING
I would concentrate on skating; whether it's at public skate, stick/puck and even skating classes. Even in a beer league you won't be touching the puck for more than a handful of minutes; whereas you could be skating up to twenty minutes in the actual game. If you can skate forwards, backwards, transition from forward to backwards (and vice versa), and do crossovers; then you are as good off as many entry level beer league players.

STICK SKILLS
Shooting and puck handling can come over time; whether you are practicing on dry land or on the ice. If you have access to stick/puck sessions at your local rink; that's probably the best way to get better. Learning how to skate with the puck with your head up is pretty important (as well as safe). A wrist shot and snap shot will be far more useful and dangerous (to the opposing goalie) than say a hard slap shot.

OPEN MIND
The main thing to be mindful of is to have fun and keep an open mind to those that are going to try to help you out. If you focus on getting better by going to public skates, taking lessons, and stick/puck sessions; you'll be better before you know it.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote