View Single Post
Old
04-26-2011, 10:16 AM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I don't know what the team will look like next season, but the below should be quoted for the truth if we ever want to build a contender..

Building a Cup-winning team is darn hard these days.

You cannot just evalute the game, decide what the best way to build a team is, and go for it. Because its perfectly possible that the best way to build a team turns out to impossible to execute since the players would be too expensive. Its very close to assume that the best way to, not build the best possible team, but to build a cup-winning team in the cap era -- is to build a team, and play in a way, were its possible to carry FLAWED PLAYERS (cheap) and still get something from them. Undoubtedly thats what Pittsburg have done in one way, and Detroit in another way. Pittsburg could stick flawed players next to Sid and Evg. M. and still get top 2 line production from them. Detroit can carry dinosaurs (Holmström can't skate to save his life) who only gets by because 2-3 guy in each unit move the puck so darn well.

In this regard, more then anything else, I question John Tortorella's approch tremendously. I can tell you this, you won't find a very talented player who have size, who always work hard and finnish every check, for a bargin. Like a line needs size, speed and skill. You can find three bargins where one player contributes with speed, the other with size and the third with skill for a cheap dollar (look at Detroit), but you cannot find three players with a little bit of each for a bargin. Torts needs to be able to get production from flawed players. Thats just a fact.

I think its very important that we are able to add to this team EXACTLY what it needs. We need to be darn smart when building it. No players are available and extremely few trades are made, still we need not only to be able to make good trades, we need to be able to put together a very tricky puzzle.

Many claim that this team is way off from even being a top 8 team in the east, still we are very close to the cap. How are we supposed to improve again? Drury's contract will be eaten up entirely by the RFA's. Its not like we got WW and turned down a bunch of better options, WW is what you get for like a 3.8m per and a Rozi.

In other words, ITS TIME TO LIFT EVERY FREAKIN STONE AND COME UP WITH SOME HUGE STEALS TO MAKE THIS TEAM A CONTENDER.

We cannot pay big dollars for a James Wishnevski who just aren't good enough in any regard, who will be expensive and who really isn't that good. We need to be a lot more creatiev then that. We need to take a kid like MZA and turn him into a 35+35 star, some of you question him? Tough freakin luck we have zero options. He do not have to make it. Its not up to him. We cannot fail with him. Its up to us to make him work. We need to take MDZ and turn him into a very good offensive minded D. Some of you question him? Tough freakin luck we have zero options. He do not have to make it. Its not up to him. We cannot fail with him. Its up to us to make him work. We need to take Gabby and turn him into a franchise sniper again. Some of you question his attitude? Tough freakin luck we have zero options. He do not have to make it. Its not up to him. We cannot fail with him. Its up to us to make him work.

But we cannot just only fix things from within either. We probably need to add someone like Richards and a big steal or two from the outside to make this team complete. The Islanders got Chara from nowhere. We need to make a move like that too.
This is a phenomenal post, especially the Wisniewski part.

Took the words out of my head and put them onto this forum.