View Single Post
Old
04-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Ail
k.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
I can't stand when people make assumptions about fraternities based on what they heard from "their friend who was in a fraternity" or what they've seen in movies or TV shows.

The truth is, you don't know anything about fraternities if you have not been a part of one. They offer a whole lot more than what the stereotypes say.

My fraternity volunteered at the Boys and Girls Club every week, more than half of us won awards for outstanding GPA's, and we had a large presence in the student government.

And yeah, on the weekends we partied a lot and we may have had a rough pledge process, but we knew the difference between being serious and having fun.

I know that some fraternities are d-bags, but don't lump all fraternities into one category just because of a few bad ones.
That's fine, and I'm sure there are good people who join them for whatever reasons they think justify going through all the stupid **** like hazing, yearly fees and drinking until you puke every weekend. However, stereotypes exist because they are generally accurate, and for whatever reason people love to fill them instead of breaking them, proving that it's not always the same everywhere you go.

No, I have not been a member of a fraternity, but I am friends with people who were, and I have been to several fraternities, on several different campuses. I have met more fraternity brothers than I care to remember. The majority of them are exactly like the stereotypes portray them, at least from the initial impressions I received from most of them, and the few I got to know better didn't really prove it was just the hype of being in a fraternity environment.

My only close friend who was a member of one ended up dropping out of school 2 years in. He can tell me degrading story, after degrading story about parties, hazing, petty theft, drug and alcohol abuse, but never once did he talk about something fascinating he learned in class, or how they did something positive within the community. While the stories are funny, I admit, you can't help but think the whole time, "I'm just glad I'm not that guy!" Not, "Holy **** I want to join a frat!"

Sorry, maybe I am biased, but I have yet to hear (your story aside) or see anything positive about these fraternities that warrant looking at them from any other perspective than the one they harbor through poor reputation, and pop culture.

Sorry if I offended you, though. Glad there are people who don't just join them for the *****es and beer.