View Single Post
Old
04-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Dreakmur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhungryhippy View Post
Niagra, on the other hand, just doesn't have the tools to stop Vancouver's top line for dominating this series, and they're outclassed on the blueline and in net.

Vancouver has the high end forwards, a stronger overall blueline, and more consistent goaltending.
Agreed. While I do like MacInnis and Mohns as a defense pairing, I don't think they stand up to Sakic and Cook. Carbonneau is a good start, but stoppig your line is more than a one person job. You need either an elite shut-down pairing or an elite checking line, or maybe just a real strong one of both to get the job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhungryhippy View Post
I think a lot of people underestimate Vancouver's blueline depth and the tactical advantage that a strong second shutdown pairing like Thomson-Mortson provide.

I believe that Vancouver was one of the first few teams to pick up a #3 defenseman (Mortson), the first team to round out their top-4 with Bob Goldham, and then also first team to pick up a #5 defenseman in Numminen (in case of injuries, which are a reality in the playoffs).

Numminen is a guy who could easily play in the top-4 in this thing and not look out of place, boy... looking around the league, there are some teams with #5 dmen who I would NOT want playing 18+ minutes a game.
I think you're over-rarting Mortson quite a bit. I'm not a fan. I've researched him a few times, and I cannot remember any good evidence that he was good defensively. I think Jimmy Thomson really carried him when they were the Gold Dusties.

Having said that, I think he's actually your #4 (behind Goldham), and he is real solid in that role. You do have a very strong depth through your defense core.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote