Thread: Daniel Briere
View Single Post
Old
04-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
I see what you're saying and understand. I just like the fact that he's the one guy who thinks shoot. The only time I have a problem with it is when he missed the net.

He seemed to play well in front of the net this year. I'd probably plant him there and try to get him a garbage goal or two and get his confidence soaring.

I don't want to take over the Briere thread with Carter talk though lol.
But think of it how Doom is explaining it, his point is that puck possession is a priority in the playoffs. Shooting from poor angles on the rush makes for quick turnovers and leaves the door open for odd-man rushes especially on line changes. In the playoffs it is a more successful gameplan to cycle the puck deep, dig the pucks out of corners, and drive the net instead of being content with shooting the puck from bad angles of on the perimeter.

This is where Briere has his game and where he is so valuable. He sets up in his kitchen(behind the net), waits for the puck to come down deep to him and has the ability to either pass or shoot by driving the net, thus making the defenders have to repsect the lanes. If JC gets the puck it is either shoot or if he carries the puck too long the defenders will usually rush him and disrupt the play. It is about being committed to crash the net and get the nose dirty, not a lot of Briere's goals are going to make it on the top 10 list, but they count just the same.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote