View Single Post
Old
04-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
This. I want to be incredibly positive, and the team did show SO much heart, but this reminded me soooo much of last year. We were in a position to win, maybe a position we shouldn't have been in, but we mostly choked it away. Couldn't win a home game. Couldn't win an OT game. Couldn't score on a 5 min PP. Couldn't hold a 4 goal lead. If last year was a learning experience for the young core, what was this year? Because most of the young core that were around last year were fairly mediocre this time around.

Don't get me wrong, I take a lot of positives out of this series as well, and I'm also fairly happy and proud, but that paragraph above is the little black cloud following me around...
Believe me, I've had the same thoughts. But the one thing you aren't taking into the equation is the opponent. The 2011 Kings didn't play the 2010 Kings, they played the 2011 Sharks which are a pretty good team. Just because the Kings lost last year doesn't mean they learn from that next year they blow right past the first round. It is frustrating that they did lose in a similar fashioni.

Go back to the early 90's when Detroit (and by no means am I comparing the Kings to Red Wings) and they were lighting the world on fire in the regular season but struggling in the playoffs. You can't expect it to work overnight. Maybe with a little luck they do advance to the 2nd round but you have to give credit to the opponent. The GM has the difficult job now of identifying what worked and what didn't and how to improve the roster to make the next step so this doesn't become a recurring theme. There is no reason to hit the panic button with "the core" yet because they are still very young. The Sharks have been trying to solve this problem for 10 years now. It isn't exactly a science. It is more of an art and when there are 30 teams in the league and only 1 can win the cup, you are going need some luck and you will experience a lot of failure getting there.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote