View Single Post
Old
04-28-2011, 06:41 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
Kopitar logged a crazy amount of minutes yet his conditioning is 'average' ?

Wow.
... That's ridiculously false, also. His conditioning is very good, and it was remarkable how often he was able to turn in good shifts late in games after being targeted physically by the other team. For being really the only impact forward on the team, I thought he was incredibly durable and tough, and it took a freak injury to finally bring him down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Don't get me wrong Kopitar busts his butt on the backcheck and in his own end, but I think there are times when he does take a bit of a break in the opposing team's zone. It's one of the reasons he doesn't get to the middle often enough with enough authority.
... Ahhh yes another one of these myths that, if repeated over and over, will somehow suddenly become truth. The reason Kopitar's point totals weren't higher was due to the constant disarray on his line and the comparative lack of NHL experience and/or talent from his linemates. Taking a look at other competitive teams' first lines and comparing them to the Kings really shows this. The Kings' first line outside of Kopitar was a bad joke at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
So according to Murray the powerplay was all Doughty and Kopitar's fault, and even though they sucked, it was still good enough for him and needs no more thought put into it than what already has been... Yikes.
... First off, I think it just simply went into a slump. Look at it like this: the Kings had roughly about 500-550 minutes worth of PP time this season. So, that's about nine games worth of PP time. Have you seen teams go on scoring slumps for nine game periods? Of course.

Second, it was the personnel the Kings were sending out there. I don't think the Kings are deep enough offensively talent-wise to have a good PP. Smyth and Handzus, in particular, aren't the players they once were and probably shouldn't have seen as much PP time as they did. When Kopitar was on the PP, teams would just shut off his passing lanes, pay little attention to his linemates, and force Kopitar to beat them with his initial shot. If Kopitar drove inside, they'd just collapse on him and force him to either give the puck off to someone less dangerous or lose the puck. Pretty easy to defend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
I think both did a bang up job of blaming others
... The bad workers blame their tools. The good workers don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
The reason Kopitar does not go into the middle more often is not conditioning its fear. Kopitar is soft he does not like to go into the tough areas. This is one of the reasons he has been pretty much injury free. Its just not Kopitar its many players (Typical of Euros) The guys who are consistently in between the circles are the players I love but those players pay a price. Adam Deadmarsh I'm talking to you.
... B.S. Kopitar was in the middle as often as anyone on the team. He goes into the high-traffic areas all the time. Because Kopitar is the Kings' best forward, he MAKES whatever area he's in a high-traffic area, because teams are afraid of him being the one to beat them. Before every game, you don't think opposing coaches aren't saying "make sure Kopitar doesn't beat us, keep him out of the middle"? Of course they are.

Deadmarsh was an effective player mainly because he got to play with linemates who were better than he was, guys who the defense worried more about than him. If I'm a defenseman, and I see Palffy and Allison entering the zone, my partner and I are more prone to go over and check them than Deadmarsh. Same thing in Colorado; if he's playing with Sakic and Forsberg on his line, or Sakic and Kamensky, or Forsberg and Claude Lemieux, do you think they're going to leave Deadmarsh more open than his linemates? Of course they will.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote