View Single Post
Old
04-29-2011, 12:28 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Right, but while we've always had the same economic system in place, I feel it's important to mention how the wealth distribution has changed.

One thing they could do to reduce the cost of tickets would be to stop utilizing 3rd parties for distribution... Ticket Master adds roughly 25% to the cost of the cheapest ticket. It's not like they don't have the capacity to do so. Although I don't exactly know the details of the entire operation so maybe I'm not in the best position to comment.
The problem is that we don't have the same economic system in place. Wealth was much more evenly distributed 30 years ago and it wasn't hard to get a decent job (paying middle class wages with middle class benefits like health insurance and a pension that you didn't have to contribute to) out of high school. You went to college and the payoff was an even better job. Heck I went to a very good private college and the total cost was around $20,000 (tuition, room and board). I worked 8-10 hours a week (doing food service) and made enough to pay for long distance calls and charter bus trips back home during breaks, not to mention all the 3.2% beer I cared to drink (and grilled cheese sandwiches with tomatoes).

It's not just the fees Ticketmaster charges that's changed.