View Single Post
Old
04-29-2011, 08:23 AM
Patccmoi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
That, and the Torres hit (the second one where he wasn't suspended, not the first one, as I thought that one wasn't deserving of anything), as well as the Chara hit on Pacioretty.. I felt all those were deserving of 5 games +.

But in the Ference/Halpern situation I'm just not seeing it.

There's something vastly different in all those cases and the ference hit. In the other ones, the offending player is skating hard into someone, blindsiding them or boxing them in a tough situation. Ference ? Not like he went looking for it.
I think you're missing one part here. Ference changed course.

A defenseman in a game 7 is just going to loaf around in his zone when the puck gets to the other end, seriously? No, usually you'd think he'd skate to follow it.

Ference started skating... and became stationary. Halpern very likely assumed he would CONTINUE skating, and actually accelerate. If he did, there would've been no contact, no need to brace for one.

The fact is that Ference slowed down and lifted his shoulder to hit the jaw. There was ABSOLUTELY no need for that.

He didn't 'go looking for it'... but he saw perfectly the opportunity, likely saw too that he would never get caught (TOTALLY behind the play with refs looking at the other end) and just took it.

Come on, just look at it and tell me he didn't slow down and changed his trajectory to hit him in the jaw there. Halpern has played hockey for all his life likely and there's some things you just learn to assume and that you don't have to check for every second, like if a guy is skating in a certain way in a certain direction, you don't feel the need to look at him non-stop to guess where he will be in a seccond. It's just the same as driving a car, if you look in your mirror and see somebody coming at a certain speed, you will know 1 sec later where he should be, no need to keep your eye for him non-stop.

This was totally behind the play and the puck was at the other end, there was no reason whatsoever for Halpern to expect the guy to stop and lift his shoulder. It's extremely dirty. And I certainly won't believe anything Ference has to say in the matter after him saying he had a glove problem after his goal.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote