View Single Post
Old
04-29-2011, 02:59 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Heh. I would argue that to not judge the trade independently is unfair. The Meszaros acquisition didn't impact who could have been acquired between the pipes via free agency. If the Flyers wanted to pursue the trade route, having Mez as a back-up plan for the top 4 would have allowed the Flyers to include Carle or Coburn (or even Mez, himself) in a package for a goalie.

Holmgren didn't have to re-sign Leighton and he didn't have to sign Shelley. He made moves that have had no impact on the success of the team and one, Leighton, that almost sent the boys golfing in April, 2011.

As for the powerplay, I'm not going to lay blame on Mez for its failures. Only Gagne is missing up front from last year and I'll take Mez over Coburn any day. The powerplay remains the single greatest anomaly of this season.
I have to agree with this. Homer had many other options to make cap space if he actually wanted to acquire a real goalie for this team. Homer "went" after some goalies, but he obviously had a price range and no one bit.

We have to look at this deal independently, instead of how some think this team could have made better decisions based on how they think things should be.

Assuming we didn't trade for Mez, Homer may have overpaid some other FA defenseman or signed Guerin to a few mill for no reason other than we had extra cap space.

The Mez deal was a good one.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote