View Single Post
Old
04-30-2011, 04:36 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i think it would actually be legal, but the cap hit is calculated by the average salary till the player hits 40, rather than for the length of the contract.

i could be wrong though...rangerboy would have to clarify, but since that proposed contract doesnt take him till he hits 40, its ok. but it is illegal because of the 50% rule...cant decrease salary by more than 50% per year.
Quote:
The new rules address these objections in two ways:

First, in contracts five years or longer, the cap hit will be calculated by averaging the years up to and including the year when the player turns 40. After that, the cap hit will be the salary for that year. (The sides considered averaging the years after 40.)

Second, if a contract is five years or longer and averages $5.75 million over the three richest seasons (there was negotiation over those numbers), if a player’s salary is less than $1 million when the player is 36-40, it must count as $1 million when the cap hit is calculated.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...chukdeal090410

For this contract to be illegal (i.e cap hit not equal to $5m), the three richest seasons must be greater than $5.75, which it is. And any season with a salary under $1m will be counted as $1m instead of less than $1m when it is averaged out, which wouldn't apply here, since there is no year under $1m.

****, I'll edit the contract so it won't be illegal because of the 50% rule. Done:

Year 1: $9M
Year 2: $9M
Year 3: $8M
Year 4: $7M
Year 5: $5M
Year 6: $3M
Year 7: $2M
Year 8: $1M
Year 9: $1M

Last edited by Kane One: 04-30-2011 at 04:43 AM.
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote