View Single Post
Old
04-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
Eaton collapses in pressure? LOLWUT? Is that why he was a key piece to the Stanley cup champion Penguins defense?
Let's not re-write history entirely, here. While he certainly was a solid contributor to the Pens' win, I don't think you can call him a "key piece", not unless you also want to call every single player who suited up for the Pens that playoff drive a "key piece".

The big minute guys on defense were the Gonchar/Orpik pairing (number one pairing), and the shutdown duo of Scuderi/Gill. Eaton played on the bottom pairing with Kris Letang. Eaton was hardly counted on to be "the man" in any key situations, whether it be PK, PP, or shutting down the opposition's top players.

As I said above, he was solid in that role as a bottom pairing guy, and by no means am I agreeing with the suggestion he wilts under pressure. But you kind of make it sound like he was one of the key cogs of winning. Eaton was the defense equivalent of what a guy like Craig Adams was to the forward group. Adams did his part, but he was hardly what I'd call a "key piece".

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
I know there are those that will say Wang just won't spend money, but it was fairly well documented last year that Snow offered Paul Maritin more money then any other team. There was also talk that the Islanders were persuing Kovalchuk, which would not have been cheap by any means. Wang was willing to pay Yashin and gave DP a 15 year contract. Not exactly the moves from a guy that's afraid to spend money (actually seems kind of reckless, or the moves of a person that has plenty of money).

I know that there are those that will say, that Wang is just in it for the money. I'm not that naive to know, that at the end of the day, Wang is a businessman and he's all about making money. But if you look at many pro fanchises in various sports that are losing money, you'll see rich, smart, businessmen that own the teams. Why own them? To feed their ego, and nothing feeds their ego then a winning team they can brag about to the boys down at the country club. I honestly believe Wang is willing to lose money to make the Islanders a winner (he's been losing money since he bought the team). Once the Islanders become more successful on the ice, you'll see free agents sign there. The team has been in an honest rebuild for the last 3 years and it makes no sense to throw around money during a rebuild
Your first paragraph, you seem to defend Wang by saying he was willing to spend money to bring in Martin and/or Kovalchuk. Your second paragraph you then seem to defend the organization's lack of spending by saying it doesn't make sense to throw money around during a rebuild.

I guess I'm just wondering which is it? If Wang had landed Martin and/or Kovalchuk, would you have criticized him for it since he'd be "throwing around money during a rebuild"? And if you would have applauded him for the signings, then doesn't that go against the part I bolded in your second paragraph?

I'm just clarifying here, because it seems in one post you're defending *both* sides of the coin: that's there's proof he's willing to spend, but also that it makes no sense to spend.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote