View Single Post
Old
04-30-2011, 09:47 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
This. I get the feeling that if JJ is traded, he becomes someone else's #1 offensive D-man in the Lubo mold.
... But Visnovsky WAS the #1 defenseman for the Kings for at least a couple seasons before he got dealt; hell, I'd go so far as to say that he was the Kings' MVP in 05-06 and was co-MVP with Cammalleri in 06-07.

Johnson's never come close to that, or has given any indication that he will come close to that with this team. Consider this: Visnovsky's worst +/- was -18. That -18 would qualify as the second-best +/- of Johnson's career!

Can you think of an example where a defenseman is with one team for four seasons, averages 25 points with a -19 rating per season, and then all of a sudden becomes a star player with another team? I can't, honestly. I've known defense-first guys who have gradually become better (Randy Ladouceur comes to mind), but Jack's not like that. He's a hybrid offense/defense player; expected to do well at both ends of the ice.

I almost hate to say this, but I've often wondered what would happen if Johnson were hurt for about 40 games. I almost think the team would post a far better record in those 40 games than they would for the rest of the season. And, if that's the case, what then???

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote