View Single Post
Old
05-01-2011, 04:21 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
I read it as a comment on Lehman's quality as a goaltender. It says more about Vezina, IMO. The writer is familiar with Vezina and considers him the standard to which an unfamiliar Western star should be compared.
It may have been something of a stylistic comment, rather than a relative value judgment between Vezina and Benedict. Both Vezina and Lehman spent most of their careers playing behind porous defenses, and both were known for their ability to make spectacular, acrobatic saves, while Benedict seems to have been a much more consistent, play the angles, don't give up rebounds (by dropping on them) kind of goalie.

I will say that the picture of who was the best goalie of this era has become quite muddied for me, and I think they are in truth much closer than was assumed during the period when Benedict's stats were regularly held up as evidence of his superiority.

I appreciate your inclusion of the text regarding the other Sens defensemen in your study on Gerard. Speaking somewhat selfishly, the snippet about George Boucher in 1920 is interesting, especially the business about his speed. This would seem to be the last piece of the puzzle regarding the conundrum of Boucher's skating. Thanks.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote