View Single Post
Old
05-01-2011, 06:02 PM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The Kings also finished 3rd overall in the NHL with 27.9 shots against average during the regular season. The number of shots they allowed in the series was uncharacteristic of the team. The Kings blowing further adds to the critique that the team fell apart defensively, as they had opportunities to win games but turned out to be their own worst enemy.

I think the shot totals allowed by the Kings reveals a lot about their lack of puck possession and how much time the game was spent in LA's zone. The Kings were opportunistic of the chances they did have to score, however, they were not as strong in defending a lead or keeping the puck out of their zone for an extended period of time.
I don't disagree, just pointing out that the shots against stats aren't as bad as they look. Detroit gave up 37 shots to SJ today.

As much as everyone likes to complain about the offense, it's been the Kings defense that has cost them lately. It was defense that killed them against Vancouver last year. It was defense that triggered the Kings losing streaks this year. It's been defense that's cost them at home, and it was defense that cost us against the Sharks.

I suppose this is the real indictment of TM as a coach, not the offense. Terry's is a defense 1st coach, with a team that's not good at defense (when it counts). What good are you at something if you can get it done when it matters?

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote