Old
05-02-2011, 09:23 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
So what about Redden? Redden was an Olympian and an all-star. When he retires, the 1st thing they'll think of is the contract and the demotion to the minors.

You're making Drury out to be a Hall of Famer. He's not Jordan or Messier or Maddux. Drury was a complimentary player who is more famous for his LLWS performance than anything else.

People think fondly and recollect about Hall of Famers and superstars. Drury was neither in his prime. The fact that he never lived up to that ridiculous contract and will likely be bought out this season makes it more difficult for the most ardent Drury supporters to forget how big of a big he's been.
Being dumped in the minors for the multiple remaining years of your contract is far more stinging and damaging to a reputation than simply being old and not good. And it's an "event." People will remember him being sent down. They'll remember his cap number resurfacing each summer, and they'll remember him being sent down again. Drury is still an NHL player, no matter how strong or weak of one.

I'm definitely not making him out to be a HOF player. Not even close. I'm making him out to be a terrific player for a decade, who earned himself the nickname "Captain Clutch," who meant a great deal to USA hockey. I really don't believe that these final few seasons of his career will diminish his reputation as a guy that was a damn fine player.

And come on, more known for his LLWS performance than anything else? Yes, when Chris Drury is eulogized, he'll be remembered for winning a LLWS, and then they'll add in, "Oh, he also played a bit of hockey later in life." Get real. Can we make an argument without stupid exaggerations?

I'm not an "ardent Drury supporter." I think the guy is done, and I want him off the team. That doesn't mean I can't respect his career for what it is. And it certainly doesn't mean I'm going to demonize him like so many among us here at HF have.

I'm not going to respond to any more discussions about the guy's legacy, since it's really all speculative.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote