Thread: OT: UFC Thread
View Single Post
Old
05-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Patccmoi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
That isn't the point though, who the fighter is really isn't relevant in this circumstance, though I don't disagree about Shields. The point is you're in a title fight as the opponent and the defending champ has lost vision in one eye 2 rounds in. No matter which way you want to look at it, it puts you in a more advantageous position than you were in a minute prior and should be treated as such. Shields who is the guy apparently trying to win the belt didn't even so much as try to take advantage of this clear as day opportunity.

I don't care if it were Shields, Diaz or anyone, it gives you an advantage. Some might say when fighting GSP unless he's completely blind and has a bum knee you're almost never in an advantageous position, and I would probably not disagree, but you still have to accept that it's a far better position than facing a fully functional GSP.
I agree with what you're saying, but my personal guess is that Shields never realized that GSP couldn't see from one eye.

The refs didn't know (Yves Lavigne said that if they knew the fight would've been stopped), and I think that because GSP was so careful not to leave any hole in his defense Shields just didn't realize, or not until very late anyway, that he had an eye that was out. He didn't know that he had that advantage. That being said, if he DID actually pressure more and tried to take the fight from GSP he might've noticed, but because GSP controlled him so well in the first 2 rounds and managed to hit him with a few very hard shots, Shields was very tentative for the rest and never really took any chance. Too bad for him.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote