View Single Post
Old
05-03-2011, 01:58 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Maybe - a lot depends on what happens with the next CBA and its impact on the salary cap. Everything that I've heard and read from Regier since the lockout suggests that he'll be very careful to lock the team into a contract that becomes a financial handicap in the long-term when there are so many unknowns on what the next CBA ends up as.

Other than the Connolly and Hecht extensions - and perhaps the Pominville deal - it seems that Regier has more often than not managed contract extensions / dollars that are at or just below the going rate around the NHL, even when most of us fans anticipate him being forced over a barrel.

You may be right though - with Pegula on board, maybe they pay more to keep Myers but I wouldn't bet on the term being longer than 5 or 6 years.
Definitely true about the CBA. I agree that I wouldn't expect a super long term deal even though I wouldn't necessarily be against it since it would bring a smaller cap hit over that term. The best bet in my opinion is to make his next deal end when Myers is still restricted or to take it a few years into his unrestricted status.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote