View Single Post
Old
05-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
They have developed. Staal and Girardi have developed into one of the better 1st pairings in the conference. Callahan and Dubinsky have matured into top 6 forwards. Henke has developed into a Top 5 goaltender in the league. You keep drafting well and keep infusing young talent into the team to keep your salary cap manageable. Which players are you waiting around for?
The offensive ones: Stepan, Kreider, Thomas, Fasth, Zuccarello as well as MDZ on defense. When we know which of them fails and which of them succeeds, we can start signing players to 5-7 year contracts.

Quote:
There's always going to be young players in the line-up that have room for development, it's a continuous process. That doesn't mean you stop utilizing experienced veteran forwards with proven track records of success.
I am not opposed to UFAs. What I am opposed to is jumping the gun. What if we sign a center and we need a winger or a defenseman? What if we sign Brad and by the time the rest of the team is ready to compete, he's old and Drury-like?

Quote:
Exactly, you're running a big risk... How many key players have been traded that haven't had serious baggage or been slumping? Now that you have a list, how many of those trades were the Rangers in a position to make? You know, the trades where the other team doesn't ask for Marc Staal coming the other way.
The Rangers could've easily acquired Heatley for Dubinsky and minor throw-ins.

Quote:
Says who? Chris Drury has nothing to do with Brad Richards, they aren't on the same level and never have been.
Try to focus on what I am saying. I really hate explaining every thought in little detail to people who can't draw conclusions.

It's not that Drury has anything to do with Brad. It's that the more desirable a free agent, the more bidding there will be for him, the more overpaid he becomes. It's a basic law of supply and demand.

If teams are willing to pay a dollar for a so-so player, they will pay more for a better player. But it's not just pay more, it's overpay more because you realize just how valuable the player is... and so does the rest of the league, as a bunch of other GMs are trying to outbid you.

Quote:
I guess by that logic, Chris Kreider will be the next Pavel Brendl, Christian Thomas is the next Petr Prucha, and Carl Hagelin is the next Marcel Hossa, right?
Really bad reading comprehension skills there. I never said that if one UFA fails, all of them fail. I said that as the demand for a player increases, the law of supply and demand dictates that he will be that much more overpaid. It's easier to outbid 3 teams who are lukewarm towards getting Drury than it is to outbid 10 teams who are salivating over the prospect of getting a real first line winger.

Quote:
If you want to make comparisons between 2 players who have absolutely nothing to do with each other, we can do that all day. It's ill-advised and illogical.
No doubt it is. Just not what I did.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote