View Single Post
Old
05-03-2011, 10:41 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
The choice we have is to we skip this year as the kids mature or do we pay Brad over $50 million? When/if Slats gives Brad $8.5m over 6-7 years, this whole board will wish he did nothing.
Let's make a bet: If Brad Richards signs for a cap hit that is greater than or equal to his current cap hit with ANY team, I'll stop posting here. If he signs with ANY team for a cap hit of less than his current cap hit, you stop posting here. Deal?

That's how positive I am that you have no clue. And not just about Brad Richards and his next contract, either.

I see absolutely no reason to believe that a single player in the Rangers system is going to be an 85-90 point player. If this season proved anything, it's that Derek Stepan has less of a chance of being a number one center than we thought before this season, since he spent the entire season doing anything he possibly could to avoid the responsibilities of a number one center. No playmaking, no vision, no puck distribution. I'm not saying he is incapable of those things, but risking not having a number one center, the most important piece of a team in today's NHL and the hardest piece to acquire in this league (which we haven't had since 1997), for at least another 3-4 years on the small chance that Derek Stepan will be good enough is just simply self-destructive.

If the Rangers don't sign Richards this summer, they are basically guaranteeing that, barring an incredibly fortunate Thornton-esque circumstance that happens once in a blue moon, they will be a playoff bubble team for AT LEAST the next 3-4 years. There is absolutely no reason to believe that any of the league's top centers whose contracts are expiring in 2012 or 2013 will be leaving their clubs, and you're basically wasting the rest of the career of the second greatest homegrown Ranger of all-time.

There is little reason to believe that Richards will decline as much as you think, since players like Richards traditionally decline at a far slower rate than players who rely on their physical abilities do. Saying that he will be the next Drury is simply ignorant and irrational. Chris Drury is one of my favorite players of all time, but even at his very best, he's significantly worse than Brad Richards on his worst day. Brad Richards is a superstar, while Chris Drury is and always has been a role player.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote