View Single Post
Old
05-04-2011, 11:47 AM
zeroG

vCash: 500
anyhow, MR, i hadn't seen those quotes. if that's true, that'd be great. however, my original point - that al qaeda, or it's next leader, isn't the most pressing issue. even if the intelligence gained takes down al qaeda, we don't "win" the "war on terror".

Quote:
Leiter and other counterterrorism officials say that AQAP and other “franchises’’ have surpassed the original Pakistan-based al Qaeda in terms of speedy planning and imaginative attacks. They cite a further threat: the emergence of homegrown Islamist terrorists in the United States, such as the alleged Little Rock shooter, Abdulhakim Mujahid Muhammad, a 24-year-old Muslim convert formerly known as Carlos Bledsoe.

“Bin Laden personally, al Qaeda’s terrorist tradecraft, all of that is becoming less popular in most places in the world,’’ Leiter said in a December speech at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington.

The affiliates, he added, “no longer simply rely upon their linkages to al Qaeda senior leadership in Pakistan but they have in fact emerged more as self-sustaining, independent movements and organizations.”

Leiter also noted that the affiliates maintain “important tentacles back to al Qaeda senior leadership” but operate with a high degree of independence.

“And, frankly, they operate at a different pace and with a different level of complexity than does al Qaeda senior leadership, and that has complicated our task significantly,’’ Leiter added.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_856642.html

Last edited by Acadmus: 05-04-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: second-guessing my moderation on the board