View Single Post
Old
05-04-2011, 01:07 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I doubt the writer, Cam Cole, would care, as he writes for the Vancouver Sun / Postmedia News. The column was a pick-up by the Gazette. Of course, his constituency backs a team that pays Roberto Luongo a king's ransom and named him captain last season, so the goaltender issue may be inflated that much more.

But I agree with Cole all the same. And it's not like this was a mystery. Last season was the goalie injury carousel, with Leighton acting the role of Band-AidŽ / lucky rabbit's foot until it was too late. I love the comment on the main board by one poor myopic soul who claimed that Leighton was stealing games for the Flyers left and right in last season's playoffs.

I am convinced that Holmgren was terrorized as a child by a goaltender, and intentionally avoids as much as he can about the position.
Holmgren knows it exists, and he's openly tried to fix the position.

However, he seems unwilling to force change at the cost of the roster he's put together, and I completely agree with that. He tried Nabby. He tried Turco. Nothing stuck so he went with Leighton. While I would've sliced off my hand before inking that contract with my signature, he felt it was a better/safer/more locker-room friendly option than the rest of the trash heap last summer. Trading was obviously not an option because Holmgren didn't want to overpay. I completely agree with that thinking, but I wanted ANYONE other than Leighton.

As far as his miss of not getting Roloson, as soon as I saw he was traded to Tampa I would've loved to personally call Holmgren and shout obscenities for about an hour.

You don't pass up on that kind of opportunity just because you're "okay" with what we have.

Still, some of you clearly misinterpret the situation, as does just about everyone looking to make a quick dime off a meaningless overplayed playoff story used to build some added suspense or drama...perhaps even to give excuses as to why this roster is just not playing up to the level that it should be or even did at the offset of this season.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote