Thread: News Article: Puck Never Seems To Stop In Philly
View Single Post
Old
05-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
Goaltending is kind of like the point guard position in basketball, absolutely critical and the team that wins generally gets great play at the position but the correlation between star power/salary and success just isn't there.

Look at recent cup winners, Chicago wins with a virtual unknown in his first season. Pittsburgh wins with a blue chip guy in Fleury and I guess we could put Ward/Carolina in that same sentence but those guys were not top 5 goalies or anything. Detroit wins with a cardboard cutout of Terry Sawchuk between the pipes and nearly repeats with it. Anaheim had a good playoff performer but I'd say Giggy was more Roloson than Roy, he also came within an inch of doing it another time with a pretty ragtag team in front of him.

You need a goalie who is reliable shot in and shot out and has some game-stealing potential, not a marquee name. If you look at the ten highest paid goalies in 2009-2010, they had exactly zero cups between them.

As far as Chris, well I don't see any inconsistency in his position although I don't agree with it entirely. I probably would take a 40-goal scorer over just about any of the really big-ticket goalies in the league but not in every single situation.

Besides that, we're not talking about picking between Pronger and Lundqvist here, we are talking about re-signing Leighton versus pursuing a guy like Roloson, which is a much lighter decision that is also easy to make.
No one is saying his position is inconsistent. It's been consistent for some time. And, as noted, his position isn't just concerning 40-goal scorers... is based on a completely poorly thought evaluation of the impact of a position on the course of play.

Take Pronger, for example. Great player. Under normal circumstances, he helps your team for 25 minutes a night. The other 35 minutes his impact is minimal.

There is no doubt that the marginal difference as you go up the ladder of goalies isn't all that much necessarily, but you at least want to be on a certain rung of that ladder... and if the goalie isn't performing at the necessary level, it doesn't matter what the rest of your team is doing.

If your goalie is playing great, your team can play like dog **** in front of him and they can be competitive.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote