View Single Post
Old
05-05-2011, 10:48 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastasaurus View Post
And if calgary could take back both those deals they would. Did you really just try to validate your point by tossing out a couple of sutter deals?

Not saying hes not talented. Yes he probably would have gotten 6+ that doesnt mean hes worth it. Is Campbell worth his 7.1 that he got on the open market? The hawks are up against the cap, theyve just limited their ability to get solid depth players. The west is too good to advance very far without depth. I would have used that 5.8 and gotten an acceptable dman to replace Seabrook and used the remaining to grab another solid forward to ease the pressure of toews and co.
My point was valid. Those were the first two Dmen that popped to my mind that were comparable to Seabs who make a good amount of money. Weber will likely get 6.5M or more, Suter 6M or more, two more comparables.

Seabrook is a 40 point, two-way defender who's accomplished pretty much everything a Dman can accomplish outside of a Norris. How much is he worth? If you honestly believe 4M then you're drastically underestimating his worth. I said at the time I thought he'd get 5-5.5M and he got 5.8M, so what's the problem?

I don't really know if you noticed, but Chicago's "depth" players (Frolik, Bolland, Bickell, Smith, Kruger) were all good-to-very good in the Vancouver series. They don't have a problem with depth, especially not with the likes of Morin, Beach, Makarov, J.Hayes coming up in the next 1-2 years on ELC's.

Chicago could have gone the route of trading Seabs, but who would they have signed in the UFA market? Bieksa? Lol.. no. Jovanovski? No. There aren't many Dmen that do all the things he does, and especially on this Chicago's defense, considering how well Keith/Seabs play together, considering how Seabs is really our only really imposing Dman, he instant becomes more valuable.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote