Thread: Speculation: The Offseason Thread
View Single Post
Old
05-07-2011, 04:04 AM
Jtown

vCash: 500
A couple of things. One things i Noticed this series is our lack of diversity when it comes to scoring. Boston scored a variety of goals this series, weather it be dirty goals in the crease, rebounds, snipes from the point, snipes from the blueline, a lot of behind the net play. It all starts however with traffic in the Middle. And right now we only have one player who consistently is able to get in front of the crease and plant himself there on a consistent basis and that is Hartnell. We need to find atleast one more forward that can create as much if not more havoc in front of the net. I think one thing we saw this series is that when you face an elite goaltender you have to be able to get in front of him and stop his line of sight and get some deflections, one thing we could not do this series.

Second I think we have a good idea of who our core is this series and who is not, we have our core signed for the foreseeable future but we also have some contracts that are going to become problems in a little while. Pronger, Timmonen, Briere, are well into there 30's and all have quite a few more years on there deals. I know by just mentioning the idea of trading Pronger on this board is reason for treason but an open minded individual will see the writing on the wall. Yes Pronger has so many great characteristics about him and his game that make us annual contenders but the reality is, we need to get a bit younger on the blue line. We only have Mez signed for the future. Coburn may be gone next year. And carle is someone we all want gone. Trading Pronger does a few things, It replenishes us with some cheap young talent or picks, and it Frees up Cap Space to get a Dman like Weber.

Getting a guy like Weber is a chance for this team to dramatically extend its window of opportunity.

If we test the waters and see we can sign weber, then im all for trying to trade pronger. A team like the Caps would obviously be intrested and would pay top dollar i presume. If getting a Dman like weber is a no go, then keep pronger. what do you guys think