View Single Post
Old
05-08-2011, 07:51 PM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Flop, I'm afraid.

I don't think he was on the Habs' radar at the draft. Actually, I wouldn't know, but I hope not. That was a pretty terrible pick. You have to think development was less than effective for him, but that was a high-risk pick to begin with. I don't put much stock in his supposed "work ethic issues"; rather, I think he lacks the hockey sense and the awareness to be an effective NHLer. It's a shame, because he has the physical tools, but there you go.

And I'm not sure where this fashion of blaming the coach comes from in this case. Pouliot is a regular at Martin's hockey school and you would think that, if anything, the coach would be predisposed towards him rather than against him. The reason Pouliot hasn't been used by the coach is that whenever the coach tried to use him in a role other than the one he ended up with, he flopped. Pouliot simply isn't capable of handling top-6 matchups, and even third-line matchups are a stretch for him. That's why Martin didn't use him other than on the fourth line, not because he is young.

Putting up points on the fourth line has value, but at some point, you can only have so many players you need to shelter.

And the coach using Gomez consistently -- which he had excellent reasons to, mind -- does not constitute a ready-made excuse to question his every other decision.