View Single Post
Old
05-09-2011, 10:06 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
It's interesting to me how many people know Roy would make a bad GM and have full confidence in PG and BG before him.

PG and BG are the group who brought you such wonderful trades as Ribeiro for Niniima, Latendresse for Pouliot, SK for nothing, Grabovski for nothing and Higgins+McDo+Valatenko for Gomez+Pyatt. Speaking about having patience as a GM... looks to me like we should have had more patience for some of those guys we threw away for nothing and maybe should have less patience in some other cases.

Roy did win it all following his arrival in the Q. And he was a S.Savard/Lacroix disciple and has seen/been in great organizations. He clearly is a hothead at times, but the years have softened him and he's learned a lot.

Would he make a great GM ? Impossible to tell. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't. I would not be so quick to dismiss him though, especially when we have BG's remnant leading the way. Not like PG is the next coming of Pollock. Current group has never won anything.

And that's coming from someone who still has a grudge against Roy for his part in the habs downfall.
I don't think it's that people are quick to assume or dismiss him but more-so people don't want to take a chance before you know, he even coaches or manages a single day in the AHL let alone NHL.

Being a good coach/GM in juniors doesn't really mean much. I'm not saying it's meaningless but it certainly doesn't prove a lot. If he did well at the AHL level I'd be more inclined to give him a chance, but I'm not going to just say fire PG and give him the spot. Same goes for "fire Martin". Just because BG made some mistakes, I won't hold that against PG whose been very good so far considering the situation at hand.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote