View Single Post
Old
05-09-2011, 04:18 PM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
If he were in the Q, he'd be able to rely on his superior physical attributes to get by. I don't know how much mental and physical development he'd get there. Like Grachev in his single OHL year, there wasn't much development...it was just physical domination. The Q is half comprised of 16 and 17 year old kids, whereas in college he's going up against guys his age and older. Better athletes. Guys he can't simply physically dominate. I think the competition in Hockey East is above the competition in Quebec.

He'll come out of HE a more well-rounded player. Obviously, we need his offense to develop above all else, but I don't really think that would happen playing up in the Q. Again, he'd just fly around and dominate everyone. That won't happen in the professional game, so I don't see it helping him.

He plays 35-40 NCAA games. Would have played more than 32 if not for the injury. He played WJC games. WHC games. He's gonna have 50 games under his belt when the tourney is over. He's getting enough games. NCAA players also practice a ton. I'm not concerned with the amount of hockey he is playing. And I'd rather have him learning how to score in Hockey East, than cruising through the Q scoring like he did in New England HS hockey.

Ideally, he'd sign and play in the AHL. That's obviously the best preparation for him. Barring that, I think he'll become a better hockey player by spending another year in Hockey East.
The AHL is the key, and if he had gone to the QMJHL, he'd be all but guaranteed to be in the AHL this season. While your argument for HE has merit, if he returns for another year of college hockey, you should be comparing the following two potential development cycles:

QMJHL
QMJHL
AHL/NHL

HE
HE
HE

I prefer the first without question.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote