View Single Post
Old
05-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Janerixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Bad trade, IMO. Werek WILL be a solid 3rd liner in this league one day. Lindberg likely will never be a top sixer and won't be as strong a defensive player. Werek, in my eyes, was going to be a strong Dominic Moore type, which is valuable in the NHL today. I don't know... I could be wrong, but I'm very surprised by this.
I am pretty excited about getting a relative of Erixon for obvious reasons With that being said, there was a lot of hype for Werek, I would say about as much hype as there is for Thomas now. I am guessing Ranger management saw something they really didn't like and wanted to get something for him, which I can't say anything about because I am not sure what the particular issue was that made us move away from him.

What I can say is Lindberg sounds like a Dom Moore/Peca/Drury type player and I loved Moore when he was here and was extremely bummed we flipped him for Adam Hall. If Lindberg can play like Moore/Peca if he ever comes here, chipping in some occasional offense, killing penalties, and being a monster in the faceoff circle than I will not have an issue with this trade.

As others have mentioned Werek is not a sure-fire NHL player, he is boom or bust, so will he turn into a consistent top 6 forward or be more of a Pavel Brendl? Lindberg sounds like he could be a 4th line center today based on his hockey smarts, faceoff ability, and wheels alone. I understand this trade as Sather is building this team to be very deep at the center position, something that has been an issue with this organization for years.
we now have
Anisimov
Stepan
Boyle
Horak
Grachev
Lindberg
Bourque

Besides our young defense, center is our next biggest strength and we added a centerman that does something that only really Boyle is better than average at.

Unfortunately no team employs a player to specifically shadow a key opponent the way Erixon did when he was a Ranger, most specifically with Mario Lemieux, so we won't be seeing Lindberg following Crosby or Ovie anytime soon, but we really lack a guy who can dominate the faceoff circle and Lindberg will hopefully solve that problem for us in the future.