View Single Post
Old
05-10-2011, 12:26 AM
Mota

vCash: 500
Most of what Homer did in 07 was positive. He made some nice 'selling' moves and and really changed the look of this team. Sure, some of the contracts looking back were a bit overpaid, but coming off the worst season in history, he needed a quick fix. JVR was also a nice pick. I am not a fan of 12 year deals, but I think Richards was the right player for it.

08 was a bit less encouraging. Getting Prospal at the deadline worked out well, and they got a decent return for Umberger who they likely couldnt resign. Other than that tho...he overpaid for Eminger and then the Carle deal was just awful. John Carlson (who the caps took with the pick we traded for Eminger) and Steve Downie turned into Matt Carle...not a good thing.

09 was defined by the Pronger trade...which yeah, he probably over paid for...but IMO going into that offseason the biggest measuring stick for us was the Pens, and Pronger took us up another level.

10 started out good with the Leino deal/stevens firing...but then just went down hill. Everything about last offseason and into this year was just an example of poor asset/cap management. I like the Mez pick up, but not under the cap situation we were in. Hated the Shelley signing and the Gagne trade....then he way overpaid for Versteeg. Worst of all, declared Michael Leighton to be our goalie.

Homer seems to make his better moves after our underachieving seasons (07/09) and awful moves when the team only needs minor tweaking. This organization has the talent to be an SC team, he just has failed to manage the cap and bring in the right guys to compliment our core.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote