View Single Post
Old
05-10-2011, 05:59 PM
we want cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I try not to go back 10 years... I mostly focus on what this team has done since the lockout.
Really?

Quote:
Problem is, many of the individuals harping on the Korpikoski/Sanguinetti picks and trying to discredit management for them are not simultaneously recognizing & crediting management for selections like Lundqvist (7th round) and future Captain Ryan Callahan (4th round).
Can't have it both ways, big guy.

Quote:
Some of our unfavorable picks were credited to individuals no longer with the organization (Tom Renney said Jessiman was all him, and I believe Korpikoski was a player Maloney advocated). Cherepanov would have changed a lot about how our drafting is perceived.
Well what's the one thing all of those mistakes have in common? Glen Sather and the New York Rangers. If we hadn't been so horrendous at drafting for so long the loss of Cherepanov wouldn't have destroyed us as much as it did. When you're relying on a single 18/19 year old to vindicate years of bad drafting, it isn't gonna work out too often.

Quote:
What teams are we using as a measuring stick in terms of our drafting success? What teams in comparable draft positions as the Rangers have done much better? I think context is important. Hockeysfuture, take it for what it's worth, has been ranking our organization's draft pool within the top 10 of the league the last couple years... Sure we don't draft elite talent, but we also don't ever have Top 5-7 overall picks. I'm not saying our drafting has been excellent, but I think it's been good. UFA signings have been the achilles heal of this organization post-lockout, not our drafting IMHO.
I don't care about position. How many teams have failed to draft a single star offensive player over the course of this past decade? I don't care how they do it. Trade up, trade down for more picks to increase the number of chances, however it happens. Produce good players. If they think the only way to do that through the draft is to suck, then it's their fault for not being willing to endure major suckage for a few years. We wouldn't need to rely on UFA signings if we could produce talent in the draft.