Old
05-10-2011, 07:12 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Problem is, many of the individuals harping on the Korpikoski/Sanguinetti picks and trying to discredit management for them are not simultaneously recognizing & crediting management for selections like Lundqvist (7th round) and future Captain Ryan Callahan (4th round).
There's really two parts to the draft though. There's the first round, where over 60% of players become career NHL players, and then there's the rest. Less than 25% of second round picks become career NHL players, and past that, we're talking low single digits.

I don't think it's unreasonable to have a discussion about a team's drafting and limit it to round one. That's not to say that management doesn't deserve credit for picks outside of round one, rather that it could/should be a separate discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
You tell me. So if you can tell me a bunch of team that drafted exactly 1 star player in that time, and we concede Cherepanov may have made that potential, what say you now? Looks like we made the right selection, but forces outside our control, resulted in no reward for the organization.... How many of the players that we have drafted over the "past decade" have completely finished developing, let alone the ones who have yet to make it to the professional hockey ranks yet.
Well, of our first round picks from the past thirteen years, we have:

Manny Malhotra
Pavel Brendl
Jamie Lundmark
Dan Blackburn
Hugh Jessiman
Al Montoya
Lauri Korpikoski
Marc Staal
Bob Sanguinetti
Alexei Cherepanov
----------
Michael Del Zotto
Chris Kreider
Dylan McIlrath

I'm going 13 years, as we'll exclude the past three classes, since it's impossible to make any type of reasonable conclusions as to what they'll become. So for the ten years that we're counting, we've drafted one impact player. ONE. That's incomprehensibly bad. Worst in the NHL? I don't know, as I'm not fully aware of ever other team's drafts. I can't under any circumstances though believe that one in ten is anything other than well below average.

We don't even have to talk about star players....just impact players. We're left with Marc Staal, a second/third line tweener in Korpikoski, a third line checking center in Malhotra, and a bunch of crap. It's not good. Not even passable.

It's just pain.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 05-10-2011 at 07:20 PM.